DOM SŁOWA POLSKIEGO
The “Dom Słowa Polskiego” Printing House (DSP), Poland’s largest printer in communist times, was designed by Kazimierz Marczewski. Construction of the complex, which was located on an approximately 5 ha. plot in Warsaw between Towarowa, Pańska, Miedziana and Srebna streets, finished in 1950. The DSP printed using all the core technologies of gravure, offset and letterpress printing on rolls and sheets. With its production potential and product quality, the facility in Warsaw can be considered of a global standard. In the mid-1970s, the DSP was printing approximately 27 million books, 510 million newspapers and 195 million magazines yearly, including the newspapers Trybuna Ludu (the People’s Tribune), Kurier Polski and Żołnierz Wolności (Soldier of Freedom), along with Mlody Technik (Young Engineer), Płomyczek and Świerszczyk for children and teens, and books, albums and encyclopedias such as the Wielka Encyklopedia Powszechna PWN (the PWN Great Universal Encyclopedia) and the Mała encyklopedia powszechna PWN (the PWN Small Universal Encyclopedia), which was Poland’s first colour encyclopedia. In 1989, the Gazeta Wyborcza was published at the DSP. In August 2007, the state-run DSP was privatised, becoming a joint-stock company. The resulting company no longer played a significant role in the domestic printing market. In April 2010, the owner put the company into liquidation and in May 2014 the plot at Miedzianej 11 was bought at auction by the Griffin Group.